SRSG Santos Pais mission to Chile - Participation in International Conference on Crime prevention and resocialization of children in contact with the criminal justice system
Crime prevention and resocialization of children in contact with the criminal justice system
Santiago de Chile, 28th and 29th of November 2016
Conference website: http://justiciaadolescente.unicef.cl/
SRSG participates as keynote speaker in event "10 years on the UN Study on Violence against Children – past, present and future"- 27 September 2016 (16:00 – 18:00) Palais des Nations, Geneva,
The side event will mark the 10th anniversary of the UN Study on Violence against Children (2006), examining achievements made and identifying emerging challenges and opportunities for accelerating progress towards the elimination of violence against children by strongly promoting the incorporation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the work of the UN Geneva based Human Rights monitoring bodies and mechanisms, such as the Human Rights Council and the Committee on the Rights of the Child. In particular, the event will:
• Contribute to increased awareness about the urgency to prevent and address violence against children and how the SDGs can accelerate progress towards this end;
• Discuss the links between the SDGs, and in particular the violence against children-related goals and targets, to the work of the Committee on the Rights of the Child, and the Human Rights Council, in light of the upcoming HRC Annual Day and Resolution in March 2017;
At the invitation of the Government of Viet Nam, Ms. Marta Santos Pais, Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Violence against Children (SRSG-VAC) is visiting Viet Nam from 19th – 22nd June, 2016.
She will be attending the 4th ASEAN Children’s Forum, and meeting with senior government officials, parliamentarians, civil society and other relevant stakeholders to discuss issues on violence against children in Viet Nam. She will be also visiting UNICEF’s assisted programme on child protection in Da Nang, and will participate in a policy dialogue with the Da Nang’s authorities and relevant stakeholders on city policies and programmes to strengthen the child protection and social welfare systems to address violence against children.
6th Cross-Regional Roundtable on the prevention and elimination of violence against children (Stockholm, 30-31 May 2016)
The vision and implementation of the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development will be at the heart of the annual gathering of regional organisations and institutions convened by SRSG Santos Pais.
Organised in cooperation with the Council of the Baltic Seas States, the meeting will focus on opportunities to support the implementation of Agenda 2030 and progress towards its violence against children-related targets and goals.
Participants include the Association of South-East Nations, the Central America Integration system, the Council of the Baltic Sea States, the Council of Europe, the League of Arab States, Mercosur and the Organisation of American States.
SRSG Santos Pais participates in Council of Europe High-Level Conference "Reaching the heights for the rights of the child" - Sofia, Bulgaria 5-6 April 2016
Launch of High Time to End Violence against Children - Wednesday 9 March, 4-6 pm Palais des Nations, Geneva, Building E, Room XVIII
High Time to End Violence against Children
In the Countdown to 2030, everybody counts!
On the occasion of the 31st Session of the Human Rights Council
Geneva, Wednesday 9 March 2016, 4-6 pm,
Palais des Nations, E- Building, Room XVIII
From commitment to action
The High Time to End Violence against Children initiative aims at connecting the need for action with the willingness and commitment to make a difference. Using ICTs, the Internet and Social Media, it will offer a platform for governments, organizations, institutions, children and adults to express commitment to children’s freedom from violence and support initiatives to prevent and respond to violence.
SRSG Santos Pais moderates panel during Human Rights Council full day meeting on the Rights of the Child
31th session of the Human Rights Council
Annual full-day meeting on the rights of the child
“Information and communications technology and child sexual exploitation”
High-level Meeting on Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals Relating to Violence against Children in South Asia
Objectives of the High-‐level Round Table Meeting
• To promote a common understanding of why violence against children is essential for sustainable development in the South Asian context and their corresponding targets;
• To promote a common understanding of the distinct and cross-‐cutting targets related to violence against children;
• Initiate discussion on national and regional policies and practices that may prevent and respond to violence against children and advance implementation of the SDG’s violence related targets and to pursue progress in the follow-‐up to the UN Study on Violence against Children;
• To promote learning and exchange and to share concrete examples of policy change that address violence against children; and,